- I-PASS customers receive a 50% discount on their tolls
- Almost 90% of toll customers use I-PASS
- Any funds placed into your I-PASS account never expire
I-PASS is a prepaid method of toll collection used on the Illinois Tollway . Every single lane on the Tollway is equipped to accept I-PASS, as are lanes on the Chicago Skyway, the Indiana Tollroad, and 15 other states. When you sign up for I-PASS, you’re given a small, white transponder to place on your windshield. When your vehicle passes through a toll plaza, your transponder receives a radio signal that automatically debits the correct amount from your account.
- It’s quicker, saving drivers around 10 minutes a trip. That’s almost two hours each week!
- Using a toll is cheaper, because drivers only pay half of the regular toll amount.
- It’s safer, because drivers don’t need to suddenly change lanes to reach the cash lane.
- The toll process also eliminated the need for useless scrambling to obtain exact change or worry about paying online
- It’s better for the environment, because pollution that’s produced when drivers sit in lines is reduced.
Starting your I-PASS account is easy. The only thing you need to pay is a $10 refundable deposit plus $20 in tolls. As long as you keep the cards on your account current, your account balance will automatically be replenished. You are allowed to have multiple transponders on one account, which is perfect for families or businesses with vehicle fleets. To open an account, you only need your e-mail address, your credit or debit card information (aka a valid VISA or MASTERCARD), the personal details of the account holder, your driver’s license number, the license plate number for the vehicle that will be used, and the model, make, and year of the vehicle.
You can contact I-PASS:
- By phone at 800-926-6500
- Online through their website
- In person at the Tollway’s Central Administration Building, 2700 Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove, IL